In a region perhaps best known for its chili, the southern-style variety is a can't miss. This chili can be made the day before serving and it freezes well. Y'all won't be let down!
At a glance
12 main dish servings
- About 2 hours before serving:
- With sharp knife, cut chuck blade steak into 1/2-inch cubes.
- In 8 quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat, in hot olive oil, cook 1/3 of meat at a time, until browned on all sides. With slotted spoon, remove meat to bowl and set aside.
- Reserve 1/2-cup onions; cover and set aside. Add remaining onions, green peppers and garlic to drippings in Dutch oven; over medium heat, cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, adding more oil if necessary.
- Return meat to Dutch oven; add tomatoes and their liquid and remaining ingredients except cheese and reserved onion; over high heat, heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low and then cover and simmer 1 1/2 hour or until meat is fork-tender, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon chili into large bowl; sprinkle shredded cheese over top for garnish. Pass reserved onion to sprinkle over each serving.
QUICK RECIPE SEARCH