Great Cherry Pie
Cherry pie a traditional favorite. This recipe will give you and your whole family some great tasting cherry pie.
At a glance
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
1 (20 oz.) can pitted sour cherries
1 cup white sugar
1 egg yolk
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 tbsp. butter
1/4 tsp. almond extract
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Make pastry and refrigerate.
2. Drain cherries, reserving 1 cup liquid. In a saucepan combine sugar, flour and salt. Stir in cherry liquid and bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes allowing mixture will thicken.
3. When mixture has thickened, add butter, almond extract, and cherries. Cover and refrigerate mixture.
4. On covered surface, roll out half of the pastry into an 11 inch circle. Put into 9 inch pie dish. Roll other half of pastry into another 11 inch circle. With a knife or pastry wheel, cut eight 1/2 inch strips.
5. Pour cooled cherry filling into pie dish. Place pastry strips horizontally, then vertically, across the top of the pie and lightly brush with egg yolk. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, and cool before serving.
QUICK RECIPE SEARCH